Tata to Produce JLR EVs in Tamil Nadu: Report

  • Tata Motors to invest 9000 cr for new EV plant
  • Initially, the plant will have a 2 lakh unit capacity
  • EV manufacturing plant will be available in Ranipet

   
Tata to Produce JLR EVs in Tamil Nadu: Report

Tata Motors is looking to expand its range of electric vehicles by planning to manufacture Jaguar Land Rover electric models at its new facility in Tamil Nadu. Having previously signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Tamil Nadu government for a Rs 9,000 crore investment in the region, the company aims to establish an electric vehicle plant capable of producing at least 2 lakh units. Reports suggest that the plant is likely to be located in Ranipet.

Media reports reveal that the initial phase of production, targeting 2 lakh units, will primarily focus on making EVs based on the EMA architecture for both Jaguar Land Rover and Tata Motors. As production capacity increases, the facility can be further expanded

It is also expected that approximately 75 percent of the output will be allocated to Jaguar Land Rover, with the remaining 25 percent designated for Tata Motors. However, most of the JLR’s output will be exported to international markets.

Reports further stated that Tata Group is considering relocating some of Jaguar Land Rover's ICE model production to India due to regulatory challenges in the EU and UK. This move is being explored for all three manufacturing facilities: Pune, Sanand, and the forthcoming plant in Tamil Nadu.

Tata Group has pledged a Rs 1.5 lakh crore investment in Jaguar Land Rover over the next decade, with plans to transition Jaguar into an all-electric brand and introduce electric alternatives for Land Rover models by 2026.

Also See - Upcoming SUVs With Both ICE & Electric Powertrains

Tata Harrier
Starting at ₹ 15,49,000
EMI Starting at ₹ 21,729
Get the deal
Tata Safari
Starting at ₹ 16,19,000
EMI Starting at ₹ 22,711
Get the deal
Call Now