Making choices between a sport utility vehicle (SUV) and a multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) can be confusing. Customers are often spoilt for choices because an MPV provides lots of space, amazing features and fuel-efficient engines, while an SUV offers a commanding driving position, good off-roadability, excellent engines and a long list of features. This overlap in price and function might put you in a dilemma about which vehicle would be a better choice.
To help you with the same, we have put together a quick story highlighting the difference between a sub-compact SUV, compact SUV and MPV.
What Are Sub-Compact SUVs?
The smallest version of the sport utility vehicle in the market is labelled as a Sub-Compact SUV. Over the past few years, the market for these SUV models has been growing rapidly and more manufacturers are entering the race or have plans to make a mark in the segment.
Sub-Compact SUVs are the most affordable and are recommended for those who want to buy a large car on a tight budget and do not require extra space.
Although subcompact SUVs are small, they offer the feeling of roominess on the inside with large glass area. Maruti Suzuki Brezza, Tata Nexon, Hyundai Venue, KIA Sonet are some examples of Sub-Compact SUVs.
Read Also: 5 Reasons Why You Should Buy Kia Sonet Over Other Subcompact SUVs
Who Should Buy a Sub-compact SUV?
- If you are seeking budget-friendly SUVs
- If there is no specific requirement for extra space
- If you prefer rugged nature and bold styling without compromising much on handling prowess, plush ride, and high-speed stability
- If you value practicality and feature rich cars
What are Compact SUVs?
Compact SUVs are one of the most popular sport utility vehicle segments in the country. These models are larger than subcompact SUVs but not as heavy as full-size SUVs. Compact SUVs, offer more legroom than the subcompact SUVs along with larger engines and higher power output. These models also come with extra boot space and better ground clearance, making them suitable for weekend wild adventures. Compact SUVs models in India include the Hyundai Creta, KIA Seltos, Volkswagen Taigun, Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara, Urban Cruiser Hyryder and more
Who Should Buy a Compact SUV?
- If the needs of carrying passengers are restricted to 5 people
- If you have an outdoor lifestyle
- If you prefer a vehicle with higher ground clearance for driving over rough terrain
- If you prefer a vehicle with a road presence for moving around in city traffic
Read Also: Top 5 Most Fuel Efficient Petrol SUVs in India
What are MPVs?
Multi-Purpose Vehicles (MPVs) are also known as people carriers and minivans. MPVs are designed to carry a large number of people who can travel in safety and comfort. Most of the MPV models can carry 5-7 people while offering room for luggage. These vehicles are taller than the saloon car while providing ease of access and greater headroom.
When it comes to considering body shape, MPVs are comparatively long in length. However, MPVs come in different sizes as well. Maruti Ertiga, Mahindra Marazzo, KIA Carnival, Toyota Innova Crysta and KIA Carens are some examples of the MPV models currently on sale in India.
Who Should Buy an MPV?
- If you carry a large family and require seats for 6/7 people regularly
- If your use of the vehicle is restricted to highways majorly
- If you want extra fuel efficiency rather than raw engine power
- If you usually have to haul large amounts of luggage
- If you like car-like handling instead of a rough road ability or increased ground clearance
- If you appreciate practicality over appearance
In a Nutshell
When planning to purchase a car, you might end up being confused about the classifications of vehicles. Be it SUVs or MPVs, there are different categories for such car models. However, your confusion can be cleared up depending on your requirement for seats, features, and budget.